Tuesday, February 8, 2011

win-win

Excerpt from the book - Games Indians Play by V Raghunathan

A reporter once asked a farmer to divulge the secret behind his corn which won the state agricultural contest year after year. The farmer confessed it was because he shared his seed with his neighbours. 'Why do you share your seed when you'll be competing with them in the contest every year?' asked the reporter.
'Why sir,' said the farmer, 'don't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbours grew inferior corn, cross-pollination would steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbours do the same.' 
---

I was thrilled to read the above story. It is more a Gandhian philosophy to me. However, it reflects the deep problem we are facing as a country. If one has to succeed, the other has to support and the vice-versa. One has to create the win-win game to move forward. If one happens to be too rational and focuses on his or her own selfish reasons, it will be self destructive for sure. 

Srik

No comments: