Saturday, April 28, 2012

knowing what you are

Excerpt from the book "The Element" by Sir Ken Robinson

I believe passionately that we are all born with tremendous natural capacities, and that we lose touch with many of them as we spend more time in the world. Ironically, one of the main reasons this happens is education. The result is that too many people never connect with their true talents and therefore don't know what they're really capable of achieving. 

--

I remember during my 3rd standard or the 4th, we were asked a question 'What is it that you want to become in life?' and all of us in our class had variety of answers. I remember my answer clearly even now. I wanted to become a 'Scientist'. Now, comparing those variety of answers and seeing all my friends (who were my classmates), I can see hardly anyone followed his/her childhood dream or passion. There is a total disconnect between what one wanted to become and what one currently has become! And most of them are not liking their current status either. Forget 'me' becoming a scientist, am struggling hard to learn real science only now. That too because, I some how got into the habit of reading. Else, I would not even know whatever little I think I know.

"I was born intelligent, but education ruined me" - that we hear every now and then is not a joke for sure!

Srik

No comments: